About Me

My photo
My superhero powers include making adorable, little people and savings lots of money at the grocery store. ♥ Mommy to Lily (03.30.2007) ♥ Mommy to Navy (02.05.2011) ♥

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mardi Gras!

Happy Mardi Gras!



Since Mardi Gras seems to be such a fun holiday in New Orleans, I thought that it'd be perfect to celebrate with Lily. We could have jambalaya and make a King cake. After all, if the recipes are a fail, you can get Zatarain's jambalaya mix or a boxed cake mix. Hey, I'm a Mommy, always gotta have a back up plan!



I found this recipe for Jiffy Jambalaya. One of the variations added shrimp, the other orzo. I added kidney beans, okra, and changed some of the seasonings to fit what we had or was easily available. It was so good and Lily are really well, which surprised me because it was rather spicy.





For the King Cake, I took this recipe for Country Cinnamon Swirl Bread and this recipe for Mardi Gras King Cake and combine them. I also used this bread braiding technique to make it more whimsical. Lily loved the King Cake and ate 2 pieces!



Since Lily has been begging me to do a craft, we did one. Using form board and whatever I could find on the craft table, we made our own masks for a masquerade ball! She had fun gluing the feathers, ribbon, googly eyes, foam letters and hand, and the flower to her mask.

I had really wanted to get beads for us to wear, but with making the bread together and making masks together, we both had a good time. I didn't feel rushed to get it all put together and she didn't feel overwhelmed with me pushing her from one thing to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment