About Me

My photo
My superhero powers include making adorable, little people and savings lots of money at the grocery store. ♥ Mommy to Lily (03.30.2007) ♥ Mommy to Navy (02.05.2011) ♥

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Temper Tantrums

I'm desperate for some temper tantrum relief.

When I started googling for parenting tips, specifically for temper tantrums, I was annoyed to find that "programs" wanted up to $200 to teach me techniques to quell my preschoolers tantrums.

What. The. Hell.

I would say that I'm surprised. After all, these are things that other parents and so-called "experts" know that I don't. However, I can bake cupcakes, but Walmart still packages them up and jacks up the price. Same concept, really.

Anyway...

My first stopped brought me to Web MD : Dealing with Temper Tantrums in Toddlers and Children
Children from 1-4 is the most common time to have tantrums. SHOCKING!!! One of the suggestions was time-out. I'm sure this isn't a great shock to anyone. Heck, we have the naughty corner. However, after further reading, I think that it's my reaction to putting her in the naughty corner. I usually try to talk to her, and getting no response, I yell, "GET IN THE NAUGHTY CORNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That can't help. So, we are going to try a calmer approach.

Mayo Clinic : How to Keep the Peace
This site was much of the same, but it helped outline some of the "time-out" rules. Some places quiet and boring, like a step. So, 3 minutes in the naughty corner when she had a terrible tantrum. Another point they brought up is consistency. Not just with me, but with Bud, Papa, and Tom (the people that care for her the most).

Here's to a calmer tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment